Here are the fundamental reasons to purchase real estate now:
1. The opportunity to create your own wealth, enjoy tax benefits and the freedom to personalize your home as you wish
2. No landlord surprises of rent increase or the need to pickup and move
3. Fall buyers have a huge advantage in this market with less competition and less cases of multiple offer situations
Need a more granular comparison? Guaranteed Rate also offers a customizable Rent vs. Buy Calculator that helps provide a personalized data-driven snapshot of the money you will likely spend over the course of owning a home vs. renting one.
Tips For First-Time Homebuyer
1. Start Saving!!! This might sound like an obvious task, but in all seriousness, if you do not already have the funds this is where you might want to cut down on that daily Starbucks drink or weekly nights out. Remember, there's a down payment which depends on the type of mortgage you choose and the lender. Closing costs, are the fees and expenses you pay to finalize your mortgage, and they typically range from 3% to 6% of the loan amount. Lastly, move-in expenses, whether its the cost of moving your home goods or buying new ones.
2. Make sure to check and/or strengthen your credit if needed. Your credit score will determine whether you qualify for a mortgage and affect the interest rate lenders are willing to offer.
3. Don’t Skip The Pre-approval Process. It can be tempting to jump right into house hunting off of the excitement to finally call a place home. However, it's a really good idea to get a mortgage pre-approval before you begin comparing properties, this way you know exactly how much loan money you can get based on your financial information.
4. Choose the right real estate agent for you. First time home-buying can be a scary, overwhelming process and a lot of important steps can get overlooked. Your real estate agent is going to be your right hand, showing you properties that fit your criteria, even properties that have not hit the market yet if they're well connected. They will be negotiating for you, overseeing all paperwork and transactional details, advising and/or connecting you with qualified inspectors as well as keeping you informed as to specific contract timeframes (this is one task you would not want to take on alone). This is why who you work with matters!!!
Its time to put your money to work for YOU, not your landlord! It will give you peace of mind to be able to enjoy more stability, build your own equity, and have a deeper sense of community.
Homeownership in San Diego IS possible. Contact us and let our decades of experience guide you home!